2013 is history
Now is our chance to reset our lives and make a great 2014. For me, 2013 has been a forgettable year. I’m starting to turn the corner and move on from a life I can no longer have. I’m moving in the only direction afforded to me: forward.
2014 is here, and I’ve made some annual goals.
More than twenty goals to be precise. That number will likely continue to grow this month. What I’m doing this year different than before is that I’m implementing a process that will let me do things each day that will allow me to meet those goals. This way, I won’t have to worry about achieving these goals. Here is an overview of my fitness-related goals.
- current body fat is ____%; goal body fat % is ____.
- Run a 5k, a 10k, and a 1/2 marathon
- run a sub 25 minute 5k
- Run 100 miles each month in 2014
The high level view of “the process” is to execute a precise plan every day to the best of my ability. If I do this in a properly designed process, I will have a very good chance to achieve all of my goals. Here’s an excerpt of a 60 minute biopic on Nick Saban’s process.
Implementation of The Process
- Define what success is (What is the equivalent to winning the championship game?) – For me, I broke these down into individual annual goals.
- Define what has to be done on a daily basis to achieve that success. For example, this meant opening up a new bank account to pay certain bills, building a training plan, and committing to that success.
- Do those things day in and day out. For example, Setting down and paying my bills twice a month, and executing my daily workouts.
Commitment to The Process
- I am responsible for my own self-determination
- I am responsible to bring a positive attitude everyday
- I am responsible to have a great work ethic everyday
- I am responsible to have the discipline to execute on a consistent basis
- I am responsible to judge myself on effort rather than results
- I am responsible to Ignore the scoreboard – Focus on doing my job at the highest level every single moment, and the wins will follow.
- I am responsible to have pride in performance – doing it right every time
Stop avoiding unpleasant things that are causing me misery
2014 also means that I can no longer avoid the things in my life that I don’t like to confront, because they will remain a piece of my misery until I fix them. Nobody else is going to fix my problems for me.
In 2014, It’s high time we start writing our own story, take control of our destiny, and make our own luck. If you haven’t committed to annual goals, I urge you to commit to making some goals.