Domain Investing Podcast with Jason Of Florida shares real life experiences, give tips and tools to help domainers achieve a better level of success with their domain names. Topics will include how to buy, market, advertise, and sell domain names. We will also discuss topics like top-level domains, domain valuation and tools for domain investors – and more!
if you enjoyed Domain Investing Podcast with Jason Of Florida, please take a moment to leave a review! Contact me with any comments or questions.
Episode 1.6: what i’ve been working on lately, namescon, and a new approach to buying domain names
Episode 1.6 is sponsored by SiteGround, you can visit my affiliate link at https://www.siteground.com/go/jasonofflorida
- Launched my first amazon affiliate site. A quick overview:
- It’s a wordpress website on a geodomain. One of the first ones I hand-registered as a DI (but realized pretty quickly it wasn’t a great domain for reselling it)
- Amazon affiliate, which was actually very easy to setup. I may write an article about it later – contact me if this would be useful to you and I’ll put one together.
- Currently has 10 informational articles which took me ~6 hours each to write myself, including inserting all the ads.
- The articles are based on the keyword golden ration popularized by Doug Cunnington. You can watch his youtube here for more information.
- Traffic is very minimal, and it’s not showing up in first few pages of google yet, and I’ve had only 1 search click since launching on 12/18.
- This is a process I think will take at least a year to see if it’s going to work, I’ll keep everyone updated.
- I spent the holidays in my hometown in Kentucky, with just a mixed-bag of emotions.
- Domain investing
- Finally got planfully.com and islandpack.com listed
- Changed all of my domain names to price upon request –here’s my article where I examined 7 comparisons between buy-it-now versus price-upon-request.
- domain prices are bonkers right now at auction websites.
- Considered buying a few .city domains.
- Other Stuff
- Working on two websites for customers.
- Working on a website for the local youth league to support their 5k
- I lost a domain name!
Segment 2: names con
Introduction: NamesCon is taking place in Austin Texas Jan 29th – Feb 1st (wed-sat). I haven’t bought tickets yet. Highlights of NamesCon:
- Newcomer and pro tracks you can select from (I’m going with the newb one)
- Domain economic forum, where they’re pushing for more transparency.
- Domain Auction – click here for a list of current domains that will be auctioned.
Segment 3: sell me your domains
Quite frankly, I’m disgusted at the pricing on auction sites, domain names seem overpriced. I’m going to start pursuing more private purchases. If you have a domain you’d like to sell, reach out to me.
Episode 1.5: Working on building a new amazon affiliate website
In today’s episode I veer off the normal template and freestyle a bit where I talk about being consumed by my latest domain investing project, building an Amazon Affiliate niche site and writing an ebook that I’ll sell in pdf form on the same website. This falls within the realm of domain investing since domainers do 3 things to make money on domains:
- buy domains and sell them for profit
- buy domains and park them for pay-per-click ads
- develop them to monetize and build value
In segment two I discuss how doing everyday domain investing things like reviewing daily expiring domains is getting squeezed out while I’ve been focused on the niche site. I did buy two domains in the last month (planfully.com and islandpack.com), and lamented that I haven’t made time to list them on my website or put landing pages up yet. Finally, I discuss some of the other things going on in my life like coaching 2 youth basketball teams, working to maintain the infrastructure at our local youth league, and a problem I had with Hootsuite. I also mention a recent article I published that contained an interview with Domain King Rick Schwartz.
Question of the show: Can developing a website be considered part of domain investing? Please email me with any questions or anything you’d like me to dig deeper into or a new topic I haven’t discussed yet, please contact me!
Show Links: I mention some of the podcasts that I’ve been listening to recently, here are links to their websites:
New article on JasonOfFlorida.com is an interview with Domain King Rick Schwartz: Interview with a Domain King: Why and How he Buys Domains Off Twitter
EPISODE 1.4: THE DOMAIN KING RICK SCHWARTZ TWEETS AND YOU SHOULD LISTEN
In this episode I discuss a recent tweet by the Domain King Rick Schwartz and why it really caught my eye. His knowledge and experience as a domain investor and marketer is something you should pay attention to because you could could learn.
But more, you could also find some great domains listed at great prices. A short disclaimer, I do not know the domain king, nor have I ever met him, and this podcast surely isn’t sponsored by him. As a new domain investor, it’s good to look to the women and men who are leaders in the industry and soak up all you can. I also talk about how his listing his domains for lease could be a future market trend.
Finally, I review the three domains I own that I like least. I tell you why I don’t like these domain names, even though they could be a great fit for the right user.
Question posed during the show: “would you offer a domain name to Rick at a discounted price for 90 minutes via twitter?” I’d love to hear your replies.
Rick’s tweet discussed
Episode 1.3: Hidden costs of domain investing
In this episode I will discuss the hidden costs the domain investor incurs. These costs are outside the scope of the registration fee or purchase price, renewal fees and the basic cost of time. These costs include leveraging domain name management tool Efty.com as well as social media manager hootsuite. As part of the discussion, I talk briefly about recently leveraging my teenage son to be my social media manager. I also talk about the Domain King Rick Schwartz recent blog post where he stated
Business is something you study and learn from. Business is one word……SALES! No sales….No Business. So if you don’t like sales or selling, you don’t belong in business.
I will also discuss my recent article “How to Buy a Domain Name: The Complete Domain Buyers Guide“. Lastly, I will discuss three of my recent domain name acquisitions coastkush.com, planfully.com and bewitched.io. Thanks for listening!
Additional Show Notes
In this episode I referenced my domain investor’s tools page. I also touched on How to Add Google Analytics to your For-Sale Domain Landing Pages, so there’s the link to that article as well.
Episode 1.2: How To Buy Expired Domain Names
In this episode I discuss a new page of my website where I added links to tools and resources for domain investors and web entrepreneurs.
I also discussed how to buy expired domain names from auctions.GoDaddy.com and Dynadot.com. I discussed some of the positives and negatives from each from a user experience point of view. I also discussed viewing, filtering and sorting expired domains via expireddomains.net.
Lastly, I discussed three of my domain names that I own – SquareWraps.com, adno.org, and NavalHomes.com. I talked valuation, my asking prices (and how I arrived at them), landing pages, and Buy It Now for Make an Offer.
Episode 1.1: Where I’m presently listing my domains for sale